Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ruffles for Lisa Progress

Here are some pics of the Ruffles for Lisa scarf.  I'm not a very fast knitter, but I hold my own pretty well.  Even so, these 900+ stitches are taking about 45 minutes per row.  Woof!   The needles are Harmony Wood from Knit Picks, on loan from the magnificent Miss Colleen, intrepid assistant and dear friend.  (Hers have a 40" cable, and my longest was a 32".) 
I can't spread it out to confirm, but my knitting math says the short side is about 4 feet, and the long side is about 6 feet, so it should be nice and ruffly.  (Ruffles are made by increasing the number of stitches exponentially so that the full part of the ruffle is two to 5 or 6 times the length of the cast on.)
Why ruffles?  And a little open work?  I was looking for something simple and ruffly because each fold of fabric traps more air, and the trapped air makes any garment warmer.  Lisa likes her scarves short and narrow, so getting one to be short, narrow, and warm is a good trick.  To top it off, the yarn she feel in love with was the sock yarn.  Light, thin yarns are not going to trap as much air as a bulky.  So, the magic of ruffles comes into play.

I think I'm about another 25 rows away from finished, and the sample above represents about 20.  I'm aiming for the finished project to be about 5 inches wide.  25 more rows only represents about 19 more hours knitting, plus weaving in time for the ends.  Only.  This is when I wish I were a faster knitter.  I really want to get this off the needles and take a look!

No comments: