Monday, January 16, 2012

My Silly Little Hat

I finished my slouchy silly hat project I was dreaming of on Friday.  It's so warm!  And truly a very silly look.  It makes me so happy!  There are lots of reasons.

First of all, I really like the way the pattern came out, and I'll definitely use it again.  Second, it's snuggly, warm and soft because it's made from the wonderful Cascade Yarns Baby Alpaca Chunky.  Third, it's the first thing I've designed and knit in my new apartment. 

I used to say that you don't really feel like you live in a new place until you've gotten really sick, thrown a great party, and depending on your situation, been home for the holidays.  Now I know that as a knitwear designer I can add design and knit a garment.

As I set up my new yarn swift and ball winder, I was very excited.  But then to settle into a corner of the couch and get this hat finished - it's priceless.  To me, anyway.  I've included the pattern in case you're feeling a little silly yourself.

The Silly Little Hat

Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky yarn in your choice of colors

4 US 7 DPNs

2 US 7 Circulars longer than 16"

2 US 5 Circulars longer than 16"


Cast on three stitches and divide across all three needles. 

Round 1: Knit, make 1, knit, make 1, knit, make 1
Round 2: Knit to last stitch on needle 1, make 1, knit to last stitch on needle 2, make 1, knit to last stitch on needle 3, make 1. 

Repeat round 2 30 times, switching to 2 circular needles as needed.

Round 33: Knit

Repeat round 33 until hat is desired length ( I did 18 rows for mine.)

Ribbed rounds:  Switch to size 5 needles, and knit in (k2, p2) around.
Repeat the ribbing rounds for a total of 12 rounds. 

Bind off! 

Weave in your ends.

No comments: