Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Central NY Fiber Frolic

This Saturday is the Central NY Fiber Frolic in Baldwinsville, NY.  It's a small fiber fest, but from all accounts well run and well attended.  This will be my first year going.  I can't wait!

I learned to spin as a child from my grandmother.  She had a beautiful antique spinning wheel in her living room, and I couldn't keep my hands off it.  My grandmother was not amused.  Finally, as punishment for playing with it, she decided I needed to learn to use it properly.  As you might imagine, I thought this was a whole lot less fun than just spinning the great big wheel, and using the carders to brush the tips of my hair.  But learn I did.  I learned not to play with a tool if you don't want to be tasked with using it properly. 

Now, as an avid knitter, I regret not sticking with the spinning (although, of course, the wool allergy is a drawback for spinning).  I don't know if that's a hobby I'm going to ever add to the repertoire, but I would like to know more about fibers and yarns and how one becomes the other.  Different styles of yarn architecture behave differently.  Single ply is different from two ply is different from braided is different from wound.  Yarns with an oval form are more prone to bias than those that are round.  I want to understand!  Right now I have to look most of this stuff up.

So, off to Fiber Fests and Frolics I go.  I will sit through spinning classes and lectures, and pepper vendors with a million questions.   I will learn things that will enhance my life as a knitter and designer.  I will forget more of it than I'd like, and have to learn it again.  And I won't play with any body's spinning wheel.  I don't want to get in trouble.

1 comment:

Kae said...

Beaver Lake is a nice place to visit.