Monday, April 25, 2011

Earth Day

Earth Day is great.  It got me to thinking about environmentally responsible yarns, needles, and notions.  Karma is largely about the concept that what one puts into the universe comes back to you, so putting a respect for the earth out there is the right choice.  Certainly responsibility is a great goal.  And so I really considered.  I wanted to make good choices.

What qualifies as responsible?  Everyone's answer seems to differ.  Fully organic, cruelty free, sustainable fiber and tools is the ideal holy grail of responsible.  But how to source it?  How to verify?  When verified, how to handle production issues?  Color shortages?

Then I went even deeper.  Are only vegan (animal-product free) yarns right?  How much do you need to know about the farms producing vegetable products?  Are rayon and viscose made from sustainable, organic cellulose cool?

I concluded that I don't know.  So I looked at it from another direction.  Like someone trying to quit smoking, isn't the intention a great start?  I think so.  Some companies are making yarns that are more responsible than they were previously.  That's a step in the right direction.  Other companies have made a commitment to organic fibers, but not necessarily to organic labeling or handling or shipping products.  What is enough?

I've decided that I'm pleased to support any company headed in the right direction.  I will make my next major design project focus on sustainable fibers of a variety of descriptions.  I'm not going to be judge and jury of what is good enough.  I'm going to be pleased that so many companies are making an effort.  I don't know where this path will lead, but I'm excited about it. 

What are your favorite eco-friendly yarns?  What do you like about them?  Are they comparably priced to conventionally made yarns?  Thanks in advance for your input.

No comments: