Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Book I Love

The Knitting Answer Book by Margarette Radcliffe is one of my nerdy favorites in my knitting library.  It's not a new book, (2005), but it's one I rediscover every 6 months or so. 

The design of it is that if you have a question about your knitting, you look up the question, and she provides at least one, if not several correct answers on how to solve your issue.  It's small and light, fits neatly in your knitting bag, and it's very good at its job.

The funny thing is, I don't use it in this way very often.  I just like to sit down and read it.  There are so many nuggets of wisdom in here, and so many questions from knitters on so many issues, I feel like it makes me a better knitter and a better teacher to read it.  It reinforces things I know, and introduces me to the reasoning for things I don't.  There are the answers to how to untwist your join in the round, but also more complex stuff like which yarn types are more prone to biasing.  There are no articles, just potential questions, and her answers to them. 

Each question and and answer only runs approximately 100 words, so a quick knitting fix can easily be had, or I can sit with it as long as I like.  The writing is clear, the solutions are accurate and effective, and frankly, I wish I could say I wrote this book.  That being out of the question, I'm really glad she did!  If you haven't seen it, take a look.  I think you might love it.

No comments: