Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Making Mittens Class

I will be teaching my class, Making Mittens a few times this year at various festivals and conferences, and wanted to tell you a little more about it.

This class focuses on letting knitters design their own mittens from the yarn they want to use.  Particularly with handcrafted yarn, there is often not a pattern for the exact item one wants to knit.  This class covers basic mittens construction, techniques, and how to design a mitten from a gauge swatch made from any yarn.  This is a vital skill for any spinner who wants to supply patterns to their customer, and to any knitter who doesn't want to be bound by the patterns they can find.  Students will leave class with 3 patterns from me, and one pattern of their own that they have started in class.  They will have the skill to design or modify mittens to work with their choice of yarn.  A class packet including notes and patterns will be provided.  There are no supplies to purchase.  Materials to bring are published in each festival and conference brochure.

I still have several dates open this summer and fall.  If you'd like me to come and speak or teach at your event, I'd be happy to talk to you.  If you're taking my class already, I can't wait to meet you!

No comments: