Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Building Character

I'm trying to be more Zen in my knitting.  Balance and completion...  I've been prone to ridiculous bouts of Startitis, casting on everything in sight.  I've finished knitting a project, and left the finish work for weeks or months.  I've modified a pattern, not made notes, put it down for months, and gone back completely perplexed as to what the heck I was doing.

I'm still prone to all this, but I'm doing better.  I'm not a Zen Monk, though.  I haven't gotten my knitting journal anywhere near up to date, but I make notes of my modifications on post-its attached to the pattern.  I do my finish work.  I never have more than three things on the needles at a time, one portable, one for home, and one for a class or testing out one of my new designs.  Usually. 

Recently I didn't buy any yarn for a whole year, committing to working through my stash.  Why did I do this?  Was my stash threatening to overtake the oven, kitchen cupboards, and shower?  (Only a little.)  Was I cutting back on my knitting? (Perish the thought.)

No.  I enjoy my knitting more when I savor the current project. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't knit as fast as I can find beautiful fibers to buy.  (Dammit.)  I still feel some backlog pressure, but it's more vague: I look forward to working on that brioche rib vest,  I want to get those mittens done for my husband, and I can't wait to test out this punk sweater for my daughter.  Someday I will either covet less or knit faster.  For now, unrequited yarn lust is building character.  At least, that's what I tell myself.

No comments: