Monday, September 5, 2011

Try something new!

Hi folks, Colleen here again.  This weekend has been full of new things in my life.  I took the kids on an overnight trip by myself for the first time.  We stayed at a different hotel chain and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room.  We ate at 2 new restaurants, both of which were fantastic.  I took my first Bikram Yoga class (you may know it as "hot yoga").  After each of these experiences, I found myself thinking that I was glad I tried it and I would definitely do it again.  Well, except maybe the part about sharing the hotel bed with my 4-year-old... that just left me with some new bruises and bags under my eyes.

A couple of years ago, our favorite blogstress took me on a new knitting journey.  One week at knitting group she informed me that the following week I was going to try cabling for the first time.  I was a bit surprised, it seemed so tricky.  But she was the "Knit Doctor", far be it from me to ignore her advice.

One week later, I found myself sitting next to her at the yarn shop with some scrap yarn and a borrowed cable needle in my hand.  She calmly walked me through the process of creating a small swatch which included my first three perfect little cable twists.  After binding off the last stitch, I looked up at her.  With a hushed voice, she looked me right in the eyes and said, "Now you can do ANYTHING!" 

Since that day, I have found myself in all sorts of new knitting situations.  Whenever the going gets tough, I think back to that statement.  I can fix a dropped stitch.  I can follow the pattern that doesn't seem to make sense.  I can do stranded colorwork.  I can do ANYTHING.  And you can too!  What is that thing you've always wanted to try?  Why haven't you tried it?  Why don't you try it now?  You just might discover something new that you love.

No comments: