Sunday, February 6, 2011

Building Knitting Skills

In knitting, I want to learn new things.  I want to very much.  I see the beautiful work of others, and I want to be able to do it, too.  So I read books, take a class, watch YouTube videos, or all of the above.  And sometimes the yarn and the needles win, and I lose.

It's aggravating to be confounded by sticks and string.  I would like to dominate these simple tools and make them create any object my heart desires, but alas, it is not to be. 

I'm slowly beginning to recognize that what I want is actually ALL knitting knowledge.  Like kids with ice cream, "all that there is" seems to be the ideal portion.  I want an endless supply of creativity and skill (and yarn) so that every project I attempt will be beautiful and successful.  I'd also like a puppy who doesn't poop on the floor, and other magical things, but let's stay on topic.

ALL knitting skill is not within my reach, but I'm working on it as fast as I can, which is roughly the same rate the Earth is falling into the Sun.  I love the thrill of mastering a new technique (hello two color brioche stitch) and the satisfaction of completing something that was tougher than I thought.  The sticks and string still refuse to give up their secrets on a regular basis (hello two color brioche stitch), but I have another glass of wine and start again.  (I have a friend who puts her needles in "Time Out", so they can "think about what they did".  I prefer the wine.)

There is still a ton to learn.  Knitting and I will grow together for the rest of my life.  I've barely gotten my feet wet in lace, or spinning, or double knitting.  Knitting is a comforting and challenging companion.  At the rate of one skill every month or two (my current rate of increase), I won't feel like a great knitter until I'm in my 90's.  I've been knitting for 37 years already!  Oh, well.  Pass the multivitamins.  I'll need 'em.

No comments: