Saturday, February 5, 2011

More Mittens (Mondrian this time)


Mondrian Mittens

As knit by Paivi H., Finland
I love designing, knitting, wearing, and giving mittens.  I was thrilled to see my Treble Clef mittens knit up (in two days!) by a knitter in Finland, and other patterns knit by other mitten enthusiasts.  I know for some people it's shoes or handbags, but I'm telling you, I'm a sucker for a good mitten.

This latest pair was inspired by Piet Mondrian, the artist.  He did so much with straight lines and boxes, with black and white and primary colors!  As I was drawing these, I was imagining them in crazy acid colors, subtle earth tones, and black and white.  I messed around with the color schemes on the computer, and am currently leaning toward earth tones.  (The trick is always to find the yarn in non-wool (due to allergy) in the colors I want, with the appropriate resistance to wear.  Oh well.)

The pattern for these and other mittens can be found on Ravelry.com.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

" I know for some people it's shoes or handbags, but I'm telling you, I'm a sucker for a good mitten."

A woman after my own heart! Thanks for the pattern.