Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Knitting and Homework

When I was in college 25 years ago, there was a really cool girl in my dorm and in some of my classes who was capable of wizardry. She could sit in the library reading her homework and knit a beautiful Fair Isle pattern in the round at the same time! She was from Oslo, Norway, and when I asked her about this magical feat of simultaneous attention, she indicated that it wasn't at all unusual, all her friends in Norway did the same thing.

There are a variety of reasons to admire the Norwegians, including magnificent skin, great hair, cool accents, and the fact that they get to live in Norway just for starters. But to knit and read homework at the same time? I really need some Norwegian in me lately, because I have a lot of homework to read, and am utterly incapable of knitting at the same time.

I imagine the possibilities: read and knit on the subway on the way to work, becoming better informed and making progress on my current project. Read and knit on a plane, getting familiarized with a proposal for an upcoming meeting while finishing socks. Read and knit on my couch, and get both my homework and my holiday knitting done in one sitting.

I don't want to knit while driving, or cooking, or taking my dog for a run. The potential danger to the knitting (and others) is too high. I'm not asking for much, am I? If you receive some strangely shaped garment from me this holiday season, know that it was for a good cause. I am going to learn to do these two things at once. Probably. I hope.

No comments: